5/11/2017 Board Minutes

San Vicente Homeowners Board Meeting Minutes

Monthly Meeting

May 11, 2017

www.svmha.com

email: svmha.340oldmill@yahoo.com

Officers Present: Ronnie Sumter, Ellen Duke, Cheryl Mrachek, Bob Mann

Board Members Present: Lilith Imbrogno, Mark Allen, Tony Jimenez, George Misbeek, Carolyn Howe, Paul Ortega, Don Webb

Guests: Barbara and Tom Noyes, Mary Jo and Paul Christenson, Vicky Johnson, Claudia White, Max Lynn and Pat Del Giorgio-Lynn, Gary and Teri Champ, Patty Byrum, Mollie Mann, MaryAlice and Doug Winniford, Gayle and Steve Carrigan, Theo Siebold, Linda Amicarelli, Sandy Shearer, Margaret and Harry Mira, Derek and Barbara Hanley, Sid Slaff, Andi Henrikson, Barbara Faulkner Aida Shellabarger, Nancy Lucas, Donna Wustman, Hazel Stiar, Janie Ableson, Susan Collins, Joan Sanders, Josie Schreier, Cecilia Medina, Joella Webb, Suzanne Krieger-Templeton, Barbara Faulkner, Cap and Diane Price, Carol Hauer, Mark and Andrea Previn, Judy Greff, Barry Krich, Lillian Palermo, Dorothy Taft, George and Joanne Meers, Rama and Greg Cheever, Claudia White, Tom Kincaid, Peggy Thompson, Ron and Marci Schatz, Michael Owens, Norma Keefer, Frank and Pat Biber, Jacque Tara, Dan Johnson, George Hansen, Betty Ortega, Dean Carter, Mary Helen Nunez, Pat Beattie, Nat Mann, Marisa del Rio, Steve and Carol Roth, Tom and Catherine Fox, Maria Segal, Kathryn Minikin, Mart Sargent, Bonnie and Jeff Johnson and Gail Weeks.

Bob Mann, President, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. The April 13th Board Association Minutes were read approved (M/Ronnie 2nd/Paul) 166 members in HOA

DPG Report: Steve reports there is a group meeting on May 23 at 7:00 pm on how to evacuate and prepare for earthquake.

Social Committee Report: Spring Brunch was great. No June event is planned and will be a Bar B Que on July 8th. Check the Voice for details.

GSMOL/Scamper Report: Sedonia Slaff personally encouraged all to join GSMOL and on May 18th at 6:00 pm there will be a meeting to reactivate our chapter and elect officers. Ellen Duke will help with this. If there is a chapter formed the first consult with the GSMOL attorney is free. After that the charge is $150.00 per hour. Anne Anderson (GSMOL representative) spoke to us and brought handouts and membership forms. Currently 44 residents are members. She said Park Owner does not have to let you sublet your home unless you are seriously ill and not living in your home for up to 6 months. (MRL states that) Anne will consult on whether renter/resident can be evicted at this time.

New Business: No one in the audience has received their new lease as of May 11th. Resident #136, Valerie Davis received a letter on subleasing from J & H in response to her inquiry regarding subleasing. They stated they will be reasonable on discontinuance of subleasing in the letter.

Ellen Duke is stepping down as HOA Treasurer and Carolyn Howe will take over that position. Tony made the motion and Ronnie seconded it with the motion approved.

Board response to the written notice that was apparently sent to numerous residents: The Board DID NOT send that and the Board is not a legal representative of the residents.

The Board has not received any information about leases and owners of rentals have not received any information. The Board can’t answer any technical questions on any details at this time.

Some of residents’ concerns:
Cost of water softeners, salt, etc. will those costs be considered?
Quality of water can affect copper pipes in the homes but pipes in the street are plastic
Suggestions were made to hire an attorney
Suggestion was made to residents to send letters and emails with your concerns to Sister Margaret.

The Board held a pre meeting where George made the motion, amended by Paul to
1. Make an appointment w/attorney in the 1st two weeks of June
2. Approve funds up to $900 for 2 hours on consultation w/said attorney
3. Have attorney review new lease and possible impact on residents.

Motion to table by Carol until after general meeting was made. At the end of the general meeting the Board revisited the motion, Ronnie seconded the motion and it was approved by Board.

The next Board Meeting will be Thursday, June 8th 2017

The meeting was adjourned at 8:02 pm

4/27 Meet & Greet Meeting Notes

Bob Mann wrote in this prior post that the following “Notes were taken by Ellen Duke, HOA Board Member. The corrections and responses from St. Vincent’s are shown in bold text.”

Here are those notes, imported into our website from the “DOC” Word file Bob mentioned in that prior post:


San Vicente Mobile Home Park, Santa Barbara

Meet & Greet” Hosted by New Park Owners Vincent’s Ministries

and New Management Company J & H Asset Property Management

Thursday, April 27, 2017, at 5:30 pm

Notes by Ellen Duke, SVMHOA Board Member

These notes were sent through our management to St. Vincent’s for their comments.

The corrections and additions by St. Vincent’s (other than correcting spelling or names)

are shown in bold while striking out my original text.

For clarification: St. Vincent’s and Vincent’s Ministries, LLC are two separate entities.

St. Vincent’s owns the land on which San Vicente Mobile Home Park is built.

Vincent’s Ministries, LLC will take over the lease and will own San Vicente Mobile Home Park.

Rob Rice, representing the current park owners and management, the Parker and Rice families, welcomed a full room of San Vicente residents. He noted that they had built the park and held the land lease for 40 years and it was coming to a close on June 1st. He said it had been a wonderful 40 years. He introduced Ashley Parker-Snider, who also mentioned the pride the owners had in developing the park. She recalled helping to water down the cement pads as they were built. She said that her mother, Marcie Parker, was a resident and would continue to live here.

Rob Rice introduced:

Sister Margaret Keaveney, DC (President and Chief Executive Officer, Vincent’s Ministries, LLC)

Rosa Paredes, CPA, Executive Vice-President, Chief Operating and Financial Officer

Jim Joffe, President, J & H Asset Property Management, Inc., LLC.

Sister Margaret Keaveney:

Sister Margaret thanked everyone for coming and said they wanted to minimize address concerns associated with the transition. She noted what a beautiful park this is and thanked the Parker Rice families for the commitment to excellence. She provided background on the Daughters of Charity. To summarize: St. Vincent’s was established by the Daughters of Charity in 1858 when there were just 6 English-speakers in Santa Barbara. The goal was to care for orphans of the gold rush and start an English speaking school. January 5th, 2018, will be their 160th anniversary. Land has always been vital to the survival of their organization. In a crisis, they have sold some of the land. Mr. Dunn donated considerable property. The land here, a total of 320 acres, was homesteaded by four of the sisters and given as gifts by families in the 1860’s. (Note: For more information on the organization and its ministries, see https://www.stvincents-sb.org/)

In the 1970’s, the Parker Rice family organization approached them wanting to build a mobile home park here and St. Vincent’s decided to lease the land for 40 years for rental income. Their income is used to fund their ministries. They are a nonprofit – a 501(c)(3) corporation.

Even in the 1970’s, water was the problem, for a different reason. The wells were (and are) on school property so special arrangements were required for St. Vincent’s to use that water at SVMHP while their school and later apartment-residential parts of the property were tied into the public water system. Now water is again an issue. They have been evaluating the water issue due to the drought, issues with the system, and as a major issue in transitioning.

In transitioning, the least disruption possible is the goal. The Parker Rice family will be releasing the use of the park’s name so there will be no change to the name. Vincent’s Ministries, the new park owner, will be doing business here as the San Vicente Mobile Home Park.

There will be new leases. Leases will be sent to us (I believe she said certified mail) for our review and signature. The new managing agent will be at the park to discuss any concerns about the lease. They would like all signed and returned by June 1st, no later than June 30th.

One change in the lease is that they will no longer allow sub-leasing (renting out) of any mobile homes. They will work with the owners of the relatively few homes currently being rented-out. They have to be the only business leasing property here because they are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation the running of other businesses is not permitted at the park.

All associates (employees) of the park will be offered employment here by the new park.

The space leases are year to year up to a year, apparently (my word, I’m not sure) because nothing longer is permitted under rent control. At the end of the first year, the lease reverts to month-to-month. (My impression was that this is not a change from the current leases.) All will be done in accordance with the MRL and Rent Control. There is no intention to change this.

When the land lease agreement became closer to termination, banks stopped lending due to concerns about the continuation of the park. St. Vincent’s provided assurance that this will always be a Mobile Home Park, so the banks made the loans.

Water Situation: Water is the gold of this century. This is a 40 year old system and there is a question as to whether it can be upgraded. They have commissioned two studies to look at improvement/replacement options, the costs of each and the time required. The old bladders of the system are not replaceable so there will have to be a change there.

A major capital pass-through will be necessary.

They are also looking at other water suppliers, at least as a back-up, and maybe more. St. Vincent’s other properties have been purchasing water for 40 years so the mobile home park could have the water from the wells.

Metering of water is now required by the State of California. water boards and was noted in the previous inspection report.

We should anticipate a change in our water situation in the future. Sister Margaret emphasized that we have to be truthful with each other. The water issue is paramount and must be addressed. The first priority is safety, securing a dependable long-term source and system for water.

The City of Santa Barbara pulls water out of the same aquifer that we use. The deepest first well (?) well gets the best draw. An earthquake can also change the subterranean plain, upsetting access to well water.

We don’t want to upgrade delivery and not have water. Want back-up from public source. The extensive Goleta building going on now is for projects approved a decade ago, before the drought. But they will take a lot of water.

The studies will be completed within a month.

Rosa Paredes:

Rosa Paredes has worked at St. Vincent’s for five years. She oversees projects and finances. She noted that after the studies are in, there will be design studies on costs, timing, etc.

Questions to Vincent’s Ministries from park homeowners should continue to go through Stuart.

The Ministries evaluated and interviewed companies to manage SVMHP and chose one they believe will be effective and efficient and comply with the values of the ministry.

Jim Joffe:

All questions should be in writing. They will be responded-to within 3 business days, which is the standard J & H uses at other properties. They want to hear what you hear and what you see that they don’t see.

Rosa Paredes/Jim Joffe:

Because Vincent’s Ministries is a nonprofit and will now be owning the park, (not just the land, as before), the county requires that each household submit an income certificate certification which states ONLY whether your income is above or below a certain amount. Last year that amount was $62,000 for a one-person household. It changes every year. No documentation or other information is required. Regardless of the answer, there will be no effect on rent control, park status, or homeowner status in the park. Submitting the forms enables Vincent’s Ministries to continue to receive some property tax advantages as a nonprofit. A form will be sent to each homeowner. This information is confidential and will not be given out to anyone other than the appropriate county entity. The form will be returned directly to Rosa Paredes.

Jim Joffe:

Jim Joffe introduced himself as President of J & H Asset Management Inc. LLC., headquartered in Yorba Linda. They are happy to be becoming managers of this beautiful park. He has been president of the state mobile home management organization, on various committees, and said GSMOL representatives sing his praises as they agree in wanting good park management. “Rents are the only things we (he and GSMOL) disagree about.”

He wants to be proud of the quality living environment here. All employees will be offered the opportunity to stay. Vincent’s Ministries will set policy and the management team’s responsibility is to implement it.

For now, for all questions start with Stuart, who will communicate with J & H. Jim will give everyone his phone number. His assistant, Marlene Cruz, will be very familiar with this community and is a key team member.

Now and in the future, written communication to J & H is only via snail mail (USPS). They manage parks with a total of 13,000 households and there are “nefarious people” who would jam his emails if communication was via email.

Stuart likes emails. Homeowners can send emails to him and he will get them to J&H as necessary.

Jim believes in results. He said the question we should ask is “Am I getting the value I’m paying for?” If not, tell them.

Questions from the floor: SMK = Sister Margret Keavey JJ + Jim Joffe

(regarding affordable housing): SMK: The Daughters of Charity/St. Vincent’s owns 75 apartments for low income families and 95 apartments for seniors on the adjacent property as a ministry of the organization. In contrast, San Vicente Mobile Home Park is not a ministry. The land is an investment that returns income for the ministries. There are various levels of affordable housing.

(regarding effect of change in rental policy on current renters): SMK: The homeowners will be contacted and communicated with individually.

(whether employees will have health insurance): JJ: Would not comment, citing employee privacy issue. SMK: “ Mystery makes mischief” – the park is very interested in retaining the current employees.

(Goleta water back-up to our water?): SMK: Goleta not doing any additional hook-ups now.

(water design issue include replacing of pipes/delivery systems?) SMK: Water quality has been measured at the homes as well as where leaving the system and is excellent at both. The water system and reliability is highest priority. (Somewhere she indicated that roads and other improvements would have to wait until they could afford them…)

(End)


To download the PDF file of Ellen’s notes on the 4/27 Meet & Greet with Sister Margaret and the new management company he mentions in that previous, post click here. Below are the pages from that PDF file posted here as image files so that you can alternatively scroll down to view them directly in your web browser app.

2/9/2017 Board Minutes

San Vicente Homeowners Board Meeting Minutes

Monthly meeting

February 9th, 2017

www.svmha.com

email: svmha.340oldmill@yahoo.com

Officers Present: Bob Mann, Ronnie Sumter, Ellen Duke, Cheryl Mrachek

Board Members Present: Mark Allen, Tony Jimenez, Lilith Imbrogno, Don Webb, George Misbeek

Board Members Absent: Paul Ortega, Carolyn Howe

Guests: Mary Jo Christensen, Pat and Max Lynn, Mary Helen Nunez, George and Joanne Meers, Mollie Mann, Claudia White, Tom Kincaid, Gary and Teri Champ, Angela Stephens, Carol and Steve Roth, Ruth Shook and Andi Henrikson.

Bob Mann, president, called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m. The January 12th Board Association Minutes were read and approved.

Treasurer’s Report: End of the Year Financial Statements are available to any HOA member. If you would like one, request either a hard copy or a digital copy. Ellen Duke reported that membership for 2017 has reached 135 which is wonderful!!! The checking account balance was $3,674.34. HOA Dues Income was $345.00. Expenses were $0 with bank fees of $2.50, and the current balance is $ 4,016.84. In addition, legal defense fund balance is $ 20,911.81 with $2.75 interest, totaling $20,914.58.

DPG Report: Steve Roth said next radio check will be February 20th for Block Captains. Contact Steve to become a Block Captain that will help out residents in the case of a true disaster. All information is on the San Vicente Website. [Link]

Social Committee Report: Mollie Mann reported that the next Social Committee Event will be for Valentine’s Day however the date is February 12th NOT the 14th. It will be delicious pie and ice cream and cost will be $3.00. ( Already closed ) Next event is St. Patrick’s Day on March 18th. It will be catered by Stanley (!) and will be Irish Stew, Green Salad, Corn Bread with Honey Butter. Cost of dinner is $12 for Residents and $14 for guests. In April there will a Champagne Saturday Brunch ALL information is in the San Vicente Voice.

GSMOL/Scamper Report: Ellen Duke encouraged all to join as they represent mobile home owners in Sacramento. Scamper meets monthly and share information among different mobile home parks about “pass through” etc. Mark Allen states that membership in our HOA will make a difference when we get to July 1 management transition to the Daughters of Charity. Information is on their website www.gsmol.org and encourages all to join.

Old Business:

Speeding: Speeding is still an issue. It was brought up that some of the speeders are actually residents who live here. Please remind caretakers, gardeners, relatives and visitors to our park to slow down.

New Exercise Equipment: Update is the Board will hold off until the lease is taken over in July by the new management. (No change on this position.)

Announcements/New Business/Guest Questions

It was reported that Daughters of Charity and Parker/Rice are in litigation. Results of this could affect residents financially. Pass Throughs are a problem to us. Water storage, pipes and our streets are a great concern. Committee to advise the Board was designated and will consist of Max Lynn, Ellen Duke, Derek Handly, Don Webb, Cheryl Mrachek and Mark Allen.

Thank you from the Board for all who have paid their 2017 membership dues of $15.00. Your HOA Board encourages residents to join as soon as possible. Checks can be put in the HOA box at the Clubhouse.

The next Board meeting is Thursday, March 9th, 2017 at 7 P.M. in the Clubhouse.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 pm.

06/11/2015 Board Minutes

San Vicente Homeowners Monthly Board Meeting Minutes

June 11, 2015

Website: svmha.com
(a new simpler alternative address to our same website)

email address: 340oldmill.svmha@gmail.com

Officers Present: Bob Mann, Cheryl Mrachek, Ronnie Sumter

Board Members Present: Tony Jimenez, Lilith Imbrogno, Pat Haden, Ellen Duke, Mark Allen, Don Webb

Board Members Absent: Paul Ortega, Jack Jackson

Guests: Mollie Mann, Jo Webb and Diane Price

Bob Mann, president, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. The Board Association

Minutes of May 14th, 2015 were read with the correction that Midsummer Picnic is July 25 not July 27 and then approved.

Treasurer’s Report: It was reported as of May 15th, the checking account balance is $2,845.52. Income was $45 for HOA dues and Bank Fee of $2.50. In addition, legal defense fund balance is $19,396.79. Paid membership for 2015 is now 153.

DPG Report: None

Social Committee Report: The Social Committee will not be charging $2.00 extra for non-HOA members. The June 25th Happy Hour has the Social Committee reaching out with a special invitation to all new residents of our park to attend and get to meet and know our residents. Following that our next event will be on July 25th Midsummer Picnic with Pulled Pork sandwiches etc. $8/Residents $10/Guests

Online Committee Report:

Paul Ortega and John Wiley have successfully transferred the Website, to be registered to the HOA. Now to access the website, you can use svmha.com rather than the original much longer address. The old address still works, and both take you to exactly the same website.

Ellen drafted an Online Committee mission statement for our website and copies were given to the Board. It was moved by Cheryl and seconded by Don to accept.

Actions taken by the Board since April 9th meeting:

Old Business:

Again, speeding complaints. Form letters concerning speeding through our park have been sent to FedEx, Fed Ex Ground, UPS, Matilija Water and Easy Lift on May 20th requesting they discuss slowing down with their drivers. As of yet, no response.

Announcement/New Business:

Generator not working in the last power outage by Edison has been addressed. The Board met with Lawrence Price who is always on call for emergencies. A faulty part was responsible for the last failure. The part has been ordered. In further discussion with Mr. Price he told the Board that there is plenty of fuel for powering it and the system is tested on a weekly basis. In addition, the Fire Department has a connection that is at the main gate that can be used. This can take water from the hydrant on the street to keep water pressure up in an emergency. Bob will make the effort to visit Station 13 (our closest in) to come to our park and evaluate personal homes with obvious fire hazards (this would be outside vegetation that is dead or dying and very close to the homes). Not only is that home threatened but the immediate neighbors’ homes are also as those tall shrubs aid in the rapid advance of a fire.

Ellen suggested that Mr. Price be given a DPG radio to be used in emergencies. Water pressure regulators on individual homes was also discussed. The Board will go over this with Management to see if this could be done.

Mark sent a letter to Santa Barbara Fire County Dept. concerning the vegetation on Cathedral Oaks that are in a direct line to our park in case there was a fire. They responded that the area is owned by the Sisters and the Fire Dept. cannot force them to cut the weeds back. The Fire Dept. will ask the Sisters to trim more and they said they would send their landscapers out to check the situation out.

The next meeting is July 9th which makes it a Quarterly meeting. The Board is inviting ALL HOA Members to a FREE pizza dinner, Cesar salad, Bread Sticks, soda, wine or beer!! There will be a sign up sheet in the Clubhouse. Cutoff date to sign up is Monday, July 6th. Dinner will be from 5:30 to 7:00 with the meeting following.

HOA Dues for 2015: Dues for 2015 are due. $40 if you are a first time member or $15 to renew your membership. Just drop at the Clubhouse in the HOA box. Please encourage your neighbors to join and support your HOA. (Currently 153 members have already paid their dues.)

Next Board meeting will be July 9, 2015 at 7 P.M. in the Clubhouse. The meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

How To Post Board Items

These directions are for Board members and any members of the Online Committee the Board authorizes to post items. While tailored for posting Board items, these directions apply to other areas such as DPG and OC as well. We plan to continue refining this post so your comments are welcome, and we invite you to keep your own notes to share and/or post. We had already posted directions about Links (see Part B. below) here which you might also find helpful.

How to add a Board item to the SVMHA website:

A. Create A new Post

  1. Sign in to the svmha.wordpress.com web page.
  2. Click on New Post in the gray bar at top of page.
  3. In the small box at the top under Add New Post, type the title of your post.
  4. Copy and paste your document (from Word, etc.) into the main box.
  5. Format the document in the box, using the toolbar icons at the top.
  6. Click on the Publish button on the far right.
  7. Near top of screen, click on View Post.
  8. Highlight and copy the web address of the new Post, for use in Step B.7 below.

B. Create a Link to your new Post from the Board Page

  1. Click on the Board page tab of the SVMHA website.
  2. Click on the Edit Page tab or link so you can edit the Board Page.
  3. Find the section where you are going to post the document (like President’s page, or Secretary’s page).
    *NOTE: Do not change the Title of the Page, just edit the Page contents in the box below the line of icons.
  4. Add a line with the title of the document (if adding to previous titles , put the cursor at the end of the last line and add a new line).
  5. Highlight the new title, and click the “B” icon to make it Bold text.
  6. Click on the Link icon (looks like a chain link) to make the highlighted text a link.
  7. In the window that appears, paste in the web address you copied in step A.8 above.
  8. Click on Insert.
  9. Click the Update button at the far right.
  10. Click on the View Page link or tab to check your work.