The great thing about Links is that you can click them! For example when you’re reading along in a Page, Post or Comment and you see a link to let’s say someone’s blog, you can just click on the link and instantly you’re somewhere new.
So in case you’re ready to make your first link, here are some steps you can use:
1. Start a new Post to get yourself into Edit mode.
2. Write a sentence or two about whatever you’d like make a Link to.
3. Highlight a word or phrase most relevant to the link.
4. Open another browser window and copy the “URL” address (http://…etc).
5. Back in your Post, click the chain link icon atop the edit window:
It’s the one in the top row of this image, sixth from the right, that looks like
a chain link. Note that it will be “dim” looking if you don’t have something
highlighted in your edit window.
6. A little box magically opens, and you paste in the “http://…” stuff you copied before.
7. Finish your Post and Publish it, then enjoy the glow of having made your first link!
Photos of Steps
1. Start new post by clicking the button at the top (when you’re logged in):
2. Write something:
3. Highlight something:
4. Open a browser window and copy the “URL” address (or manually type it in):
Here the destination page (WordPress Support page about Links) has been
opened in a new window and the URL address has been highlighted and copied.
5. Click the chain link icon (closeups):
6. A link box opens, and you paste in the “http://…” stuff you copied:
Click the “Insert” button at the bottom-right of the box, or just hit Enter.
7. Your link is done, so you can finish your Post and Publish it.
Note that you can add as many links as you dare, just by repeating the steps. Sometimes it looks cool to bold the link text, but just being a link will make it stand out in your Post or Page.
This all looks really scary, but once you’ve done it a couple of times it will be trivial. Really! 🙂